At the recent AGM, 24 June 2021, the band voted to award a new life membership to Dr. Errol Moore.
Errol joined the Band in 1990. Set out below is a summary of his wide-ranging contribution to the Band since then.
- As one of New Zealand’s top Euphonium players representing St Kilda in winning National Solo Championships in 1993 and 1994 and as a member of National Bands of New Zealand in 1995 and 2003.
- Providing considerable artistic support to Peter Adams in the early 1990s as a rehearsal conductor and in coaching individual players and sections in a period of significant contest success for the Band. Also willingly acting as a ‘fill-in’ conductor whenever asked in a variety of circumstances over the past 31 years.
- As Musical Director from 1996 to 1998 guiding the Band to placings in New Zealand A Grade Championship events and stepping in again in 2021.
- As a committee member through the mid-1990s and as Chairman of the Band in 2014/2015.
- As a willing and reliable contributor of time and effort to a myriad of non-musical tasks.
- As a willing participant in fund raising efforts with such organisations as DCC and Community Trust of Otago.
- As a tutor working with promising young Band members both in a professional and a voluntary capacity.
- Establishing and running “All Brass Class” which currently has around 30 learners across all brass genres. Two players from this programme joined the Band in 2020; both of whom were selected for the National Secondary Schools Band.
Congratulations Errol – let this fuel the fire for another 30 odd years.